Friday, August 21, 2009

Protein Sparing Modified Fast

I'm not the first person to blog about his weight loss journey, but 3
days into this new diet, I've decided to take my turn at 15 minutes of
shame.

I'm in my mid 40's. I'm a little shy of 5'9," When I graduated from
high school I weighed 135 lbs. When I weighed in at my doctors office
in June of this year I reached my all time max of 314 lbs. I was
pretty freaking disgusted with myself and I felt awful; physically and
mentally.

I wanted my doctor to allow me to go on a PSMF (Protein Sparing
Modified Fast). She convinced me to try Weight Watchers first. I
joined that day and by August 18th I weighed in at 293 lbs. So that's
pretty good, right? Sure it is. 21 lbs in 11. weeks is considered
nice, 'healthy' weight loss, but how healthy is it to weigh 293 lbs?

I'll be honest, I've been on a PSMF before. Once in 2003 when I
weighed 310 lbs and once in 2007 when I had carelessly gained my way
from 204 lbs back to 288 lbs. On August 18th after celebrating my 21
lb weight loss with my doctor, she agreed to let me do another PSMF.
This time I have resolved to keep it off for life. I'll tell you how
it works in my next post.